ID-100178559A recent report has shown that 74% of people worry about debt problems and 35% have been kept awake at night worrying about finances.

If you fall behind with your rent you need to contact us immediately and make an arrangement to repay the arrears.

Debt and money advice

Across the UK, the report found that 8.8 million people are struggling with debts and yet only 1.5 million people are currently seeking advice.  It’s reported that up to 50% of people wait up to a year before seeking debt advice.

If you’re experiencing problems with debt you’re not on your own.  Free help and advice is available from organisations who can help you deal with the causes and consequences of your money worries, and the impact it can have on your daily life.  For example:

StepChange Debt Charity is the new name for the UK’s leading debt advice organization.  Previously known as Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) they have over 20 years’ experience of helping people become debt free.

The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service.  They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money.  They are an independent service, set up by government.

The Citizens Advice Bureau gives you the self-help information you need to solve your problems and further information is available here.

Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.  Their website can help you find financial support, quickly and easily, based on your circumstances.

Utility bills

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills or get a bill you can’t afford, take steps to sort out the problem as soon as possible.  If you don’t pay your gas and electricity debts, you risk being cut off.

Both StepChange and the Citizens Advice Bureau offer guidance on dealing with debts on your utility bills.  Wessex Water also has information on their website about how they can help you with water bills.

Benefits advice

50% of our tenants claim Housing Benefit to help pay their rent.  We have a Benefits Advisor available Tuesday to Friday who can provide advice on and assistance with claiming benefits you may be entitled to.

For further information about Housing Benefit, the recent reforms and how you may be effected you can look at our Welfare Reform page.

Minimum wage(s)

Do you know about the changes to the minimum wage(s) that took effect from 1 October?  Read this article to find out more

Home Box Image courtesy of Rob Wiltshire at

Page Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at