SHAL aims to provide high quality services. However, there will be times when we make mistakes and we can’t always get things right. When that happens we want our customers to feel comfortable in letting us know. If you are unhappy about SHAL’s services you can make a complaint by following this process:

Stage 1 – Contact any member of staff

This can be done in person, in writing, by telephone, by email, by completing our complaint form below, or in any other way that suits your needs. If the staff member can’t resolve your complaint themselves, they will pass it to someone who can. You should normally get a full response within 10 working days.

If you’re not happy with the resolution you can take it to Stage 2 within 20 working days.

Stage 2 – A member of the Executive team (a Director) and the Complaints Officer

The Director and the Complaints Officer will investigate the complaint – and how it was resolved at Stage 1.  You should normally get a full response within 20 working days.

If the complaint is about the Complaints Officer then a member of the Management team will investigate the complaint with the Director.

The Complaints Officer

Our Complaints Officer is our Housing Manager.

The Regulator for Social Housing

The Regulator for Social Housing publishes Standards they expect providers like SHAL to meet.  The Economic Standards are about how we work and perform as an organisation and the Consumer Standards are about the services we provide to our tenants and customers.

You can find out more here but if you think SHAL is not meeting the Consumer Standards you can make a complaint.

Housing Ombudsman Service

If you remain unhappy after receiving the resolution you can take your complaint to the independent Housing Ombudsman Service. We will send you more details of how to do this at the time but if you wish to contact the Ombudsman’s office for advice you can:

• call them on: 0300 111 3000
• email them at or
• write to Housing Ombudsman Service, 81 Aldwych, London WC2B 4HN

General Information

SHAL will happily deal with another person if they are helping you to make your complaint but we will normally ask for evidence that they have your permission to do so.

Although we know you might be upset about the issue you are complaining about we still expect you to pursue your complaint in a reasonable manner.  We may refuse to deal with a complaint, or may deal with it in a different way, if it is pursued unreasonably or behaviours are unacceptable.

We have completed a self-assessment of our Complaint process in line with the Housing Ombudsman Service’s Complaint Handling Code published in July 2020.

Complaints form

    First Name*

    Last Name*


    Your Email*

    Contact Number*

    Your Complaint*

    What could SHAL do to resolve this?*

    * denotes required field