Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service offer free Home Safety Visits for people who are concerned about fire safety in their home.
They can put together an escape plan; install or replace smoke alarms; provide other safety products such as hard of hearing alarms and fire retardant bedding. Equipment provided is assessed and supplied on a case by case basis.
They can also raise awareness and help change behaviour. If you’re concerned about your home or the home of someone you know you can speak to your Housing Officer for more information.
What would tell me a Home Safety Visit might be needed?
- Burn marks on soft furnishings or carpets
- Smoking in bed
- Significant amount of belongings in the property (hoarding)
- Items that would hinder an escape
- Overloaded sockets/scorch marks
- No smoke alarms (or damaged/disused smoke alarms)
- Someone who wouldn’t hear a smoke alarm or someone who wouldn’t be able to escape unaided